Playful Learning that will take place on Saturday, November 2nd, from 8am to 5pm (EDT) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). During this event, through inspiring talks, hands-on workshops, and expert panels, teachers will have the chance to explore with local colleagues and national experts how to effectively integrate games and new media into teaching and ignite student passion in the classroom.
You can find more information about the conference and register at: www.playfullearning.com/boston2013
“Core academic teachers” who teach English Language Learners (ELLs) will soon be required to obtain a Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) Teacher Endorsement under the state’s Rethinking Equity and Teaching for English Language Learners (RETELL) initiative. 1 The impact of this requirement is a mandatory subject of bargaining. Districts may not assign ELLs to affected teachers who have not obtained the endorsement by the required deadline. Training to meet the requirement will be rolled out between the spring of 2013 and the 2015-16 school year. When they have met the requirement, affected teachers will apply for the SEI Endorsement via their ELAR accounts. There are still several unanswered questions about RETELL. More information will be available from the MTA at www.massteacher.org/ell, the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) at www.doe.mass.edu/retell, your local association and your district administration. Read more by downloading the attached PDF.
Do you spend personal money on school supplies?
Are you concerned about class size?
Do you spend more time addressing in-direct student services?
How much does it cost to educate our students?
A whole generation of students has gone through the Massachusetts public schools since the last time an analysis of what it costs to educate our children from pre-K to high school graduation was done. That’s why educators, education support professionals, and community members need to advocate for legislation to help determine how best to provide opportunities for every Massachusetts student.
Let’s be proactive…let’s be informed...! Learn more about House Bill 153, An Act to Fulfill the Promise of Education Reform: Adequate Funding for Student Success. Join your colleagues at a discussion with:
Senator Patricia Jehlen
Second Middlesex District
Thursday, November 17, 2011
West Somerville Neighborhood School
177 Powderhouse Boulevard
Somerville, MA 02144
LPAT Second Middlesex Senate District is a collaboration of members
of the Massachusetts Teachers Association from Medford, Somerville, and Winchester
The Massachusetts Teachers Association supports Occupy Wall Street, Occupy Boston and similar protests across the country that are calling attention to political and economic systems that unfairly reward the wealthy at the expense of everyone else and are contributing to high levels of unemployment and economic insecurity.
Although the protesters express diverse views, a unifying message is that financial and political institutions must be held accountable for the excesses that led to the current economic crisis, the struggles of the middle class and the growing wealth gap in the United States.
The MTA shares these concerns. We believe:
* Strong educator unions are needed to defend the interests of our students, many of whom are not able to reach their full potential because of the lack of necessary resources and supports in their schools and communities.
* Strong unions are needed to hold corporations and politicians accountable for how their policies affect working men and women.
* Strong educator unions are needed to defend the interests of teachers, higher education faculty and other education staff - public servants who have been under attack in many states by those who mistakenly believe that organized labor is responsible for the country's economic ills.
* Progressive tax reforms are needed to make sure the wealthy are paying their fair share and to guarantee adequate funding for education and other public services that are essential to the successful functioning of our democracy.
We encourage MTA members to participate in peaceful protest actions that call attention to these inequities and that seek reform of the financial regulations, campaign finance rules and tax codes that so handsomely reward the 1 percent at the expense of the remaining 99 percent.